University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D. 2021
Hillsdale College, B.A. Economics, 2014
Magna cum laude
Alexa Tipton is special counsel for entertainment law and pro bono services at Irwin IP. Alexa counsels clients on both transactional and litigation matters in entertainment law.
Prior to joining Irwin IP, Alexa interned at Lawyers for the Creative Arts, a nonprofit organization that provides pro bono legal assistance to artists in the Chicago area, where she worked alongside artists to identify their relevant legal issues for pairing with appropriate legal representation. In addition, Alexa interned for Judge Derek Meinecke at the 44th District Court in Royal Oak, Michigan. There, she researched the impact of Michigan’s driver’s licensing laws on the ability to maintain a valid driver’s license for Judge Meinecke’s Operation Drive program, which is dedicated to restoring individuals’ suspended driver’s licenses.
As a student, Alexa completed the Intercollegiate Athletics externship at the University of Notre Dame working closely with the compliance office to prepare for seasonal recruiting and researching current Student Athlete Name, Image, and Likeness state legislation.
Prior to law school, Alexa interned at Big Machine Label Group in Nashville, Tennessee and with The Vegabonds, a southern rock band.
Membership & Affiliations
Associate Board member of Lawyers for the Creative Arts
Note, “Michigan’s Driver’s Licensing Legislation: The Road to Unlicensed Drivers,” 47 J. LEGIS. 156 (2021).
ABA Entertainment and Sports Lawyer:
- Downtown Music Publishing LLC, et al. v. Peloton Interactive, Inc. (Jan. 2020)
- The Cost of Free Airtime: Why Terrestrial Radio Can No Longer Be Exempted from Performance Royalties (Jan. 2020)
- Name, Image, and Likeness: NCAA Rules in Favor of Compensation for Student Athletes but Against Fair Pay to Play (Apr. 2020)
- The Politics of Music Use for Campaigns (May 2021)
- #SaveOurStages: Small Venues Suffer Amid the Economic Shutdown (May 2021)