As a smaller firm, our attorneys find mentorship organically as they interact with their colleagues. To compliment the natural mentor-mentee relationships that occur in our firm, we also have a formal mentorship program. Each new attorney at Irwin IP is partnered with an experienced member of the firm. The goal is that each mentor-mentee pairing will meet several times a year to discuss the mentee’s successes and challenges and to allow the mentor to provide career guidance and advice. In addition, our summer associates are paired with a mentor attorney to introduce the summer associates to our firm culture, ease the transition from law school to practice, and ensure that the summer associates have a sounding board for their questions.
Irwin IP is committed to giving back to our community beyond providing free legal services. We also strive to give back by participating in various volunteer events and activities throughout the greater Chicago community. Each year, we host two firmwide volunteer events, one in the summer and one in the fall. We also encourage our employees to donate their time and talents to causes about which they are passionate. Our staff and attorneys have logged several hours volunteering with The Alliance for the Great Lakes, Feed My Starving Children, Connections for the Homeless, and the Greater Chicago Food Depository to name a few.
At Irwin IP, we pride ourselves on providing a fun and congenial work place and the Irwin IP Party Planning Committee takes the business of fun very seriously. We have hosted some spectacular events (if we do say so ourselves) including:
- Annual summer gathering at Whirleyball
- Annual Yankee Swap and Ugly Sweater Party where highly coveted pop culture gifts such as Hello Kitty mini refrigerators and Game of Thrones goblets have been lovingly given, traded, and received
- Events at Royal Palm Shuffleboard, AceBounce Ping Pong, Flight Club Darts, Chopping Block Cooking classes
- Team participation in CVLS-Race Judicata (5k) to support pro bono efforts in our community and our attorneys’ physical strength and endurance
- “Friendsgiving” potluck luncheons at the home of our firm founder where each employee brings their favorite Thanksgiving dish to share
- Annual Associate Holiday Tea at the Drake Hotel
- Taco Tuesdays and Pizza Fridays in the office for those weeks when we all have tight deadlines
- Virtual programming in the pandemic which included a Mixology class, a Bingo night and an interactive Murder Mystery Theater proving our flexibility and continued commitment to be engaged with each other
Irwin IP is a lifestyle firm and we recognize that a good attorney is one with a healthy and fulfilling personal life. To encourage a healthy work-life balance we:
- Provide monthly health and wellness topics in the areas of intellectual, emotional, physical, spiritual and social well-being with resources that focus on those in the legal profession
- Act as a liaison and support Lawyers Assistance Program (LAP) with their efforts in providing a path to wellness to those struggling in the legal profession in Illinois.
- Provide in house professional responsibility CLE’s in the areas of mental health and substance abuse
- Ensure all employees receive annual training in discrimination and sexual harassment and support the efforts and education of the Illinois Department of Human Rights
- Promote activities and products that support attorney engagement and professional growth which simultaneously combat stress and boost productivity (meditation apps, happy lights)