Notre Dame Law School, 2018(magna cum laude)
- Faculty Awards for Excellence: Legal Research (2015), Copyright Law (2017), Entertainment Law (2017), Securities Regulation (2018)
Tulane University, 2015
(summa cum laude)
- Outstanding Student in Sociology Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Alpha Lambda Delta
Manon Burns primarily serves as a vital team member in patent and trademark litigations, as well as in preparing arguments and defenses in inter partes and post grant review proceedings before the PTAB. She counsels clients on trademark policing and copyright matters and has helped to negotiate favorable settlements in favor of her clients to avoid litigation entirely. Manon is passionate about helping artists protect themselves and their ideas, as well as helping businesses build and protect their brands. Some of Manon’s representative matters include:
- Conducting discovery in a multi-million-dollar trade secret and breach of nondisclosure agreement litigation, wherein Irwin IP obtained several pre-trial victories.
- Part of team for Fortune 500 supplier of aftermarket automotive parts in a multi-litigation dispute related to the wrongful seizure of goods as allegedly counterfeit by United States Customs and Border Protection.
- Part of team for Fortune 500 supplier of aftermarket automotive parts in trademark infringement matter wherein Irwin IP secured an entry of default against infringer of client’s trademark.
- Negotiated monetary settlement between client artist and infringer of artist’s copyright.
- Trademark policing for a multi-million dollar company’s primary trademarks
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
Member, Chicago Bar Association
Outreach Committee, Chicago Women in Intellectual Property
Copyright Committee, Intellectual Property Owner’s Association
Adam J. Reis and Manon L. Burns. “Who Owns That Tune? Issues Faced by Music Creators in Today’s Content-Based Industry” ABA Landslide, Jan/Feb 2020, 13-16.
Manon joined Irwin IP as an associate after graduating from Notre Dame in Fall 2018. Manon previously worked for a law firm where she focused primarily on corporate litigation matters. Prior to joining Irwin IP, Manon represented various clients in trademark, copyright, and patent matters with the Notre Dame Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Clinic, which included drafting trademark applications, counseling clients on trademark choice, counseling clients on available intellectual property protections for unique products, drafting opinion letters, and filing multiple trademark applications that resulted in registration of the marks on the principle register.
As a student at Notre Dame Law School, Manon served as Executive Editor on Notre Dame’s Journal of Law, Ethics, and Public Policy. She also served as a member of the Notre Dame Student Bar Association Alumni Committee and Notre Dame’s Intellectual Property Law Society.
Manon received the Faculty Award for Excellence in Legal Research, Copyright Law, Entertainment Law, and Securities Regulation. She was a perennial member of the Dean’s list and graduated magna cum laude.
Northern District of Illinois