Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D.
Johns Hopkins University, B.A. Biology
State of Illinois
State of Kansas
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Daniel Sokoloff is an associate at Irwin IP. His focus is on intellectual property litigation with an emphasis on complex patent litigation before United States federal district courts and post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (“PTAB”). Daniel also has experience litigating before the United States International Trade Commission (“USITC”) on Section 337 matters.
Daniel’s technical expertise encompasses engineering and biological arts. His work experience includes working with telecommunications devices, medical devices, integrated circuits, video compression, data transmission, computer graphics, memory controllers, light-emitting diode (“LED”) lamps, organic light-emitting diode (“OLED”) displays, and pharmaceuticals. Daniel’s educational background, research, and work experience across a variety of sciences and technologies allows him to master technical subject matter efficiently and proficiently.
Daniel has worked on a variety of high stakes intellectual property disputes, including complex patent and trade secret litigation matters. Daniel served as part of a team that:
- Defended two companies in a Section 337 proceeding before the USITC against two asserted utility patents by, inter alia, obtaining the rulings of patent invalidity, unenforceability for inequitable conduct during prosecution, and noninfringement.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in an offensive action concerning transceivers in certain aviation applications.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in an offensive action concerning certain controllers.
Some of the USITC matters on which Daniel has worked on as a paralegal before attending law school include:
- Certain Textile Products: Assisted in obtaining a general exclusion order.
- Certain Radiotherapy Systems and Treatment Planning Software: Assisted in obtaining a favorable initial determination.
- Certain Table Saws Incorporating Active Injury Mitigation Technology: Assisted in obtaining an exclusion order based on infringement of two patents.
- Certain Light-Emitting Diode Products: Assisted in obtaining a finding of violation of Section 337 based both on patent infringement and false advertising.
- Certain Ink Cartridges: Assisted in obtaining a finding of violation of Section 337 and a recommendation of a general exclusion order.
- Certain Opaque Polymers: Assisted in obtaining an issuance of an exclusion order and cease and desist orders.
- Certain Consumer Electronics with Display and Processing Capabilities: Assisted in obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Certain Media Devices: Assisted in defending a client and obtaining a finding of noninfringement.
Abhilash Guduru, Jason Lansdown, “Daniel Sokoloff,” Ronald D. Berger & Larisa G. Tereshchenko, Longitudinal Changes in Intracardiac Repolarization Lability in Patients with Implantable Cardioverter-defibrillator, 4 Front. Physiol., Art. 208 (August, 2013).
Prior to joining Irwin IP, Daniel practiced complex intellectual property litigation at two boutique firms specializing in the same. Before he was a licensed attorney, Daniel’s legal experience included serving as a law clerk for an intellectual property boutique firm and working as a corporate intellectual property intern at a Fortune 100 company. In addition, Daniel served as a law clerk for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
During law school, Daniel participated in Entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Clinic and Wiley Rutledge Moot Court Competition. Daniel was also a GE Carl Horton Fellow and a Washington University Scholar in Law. He was also a member of Intellectual Property Law Society and Technology and Privacy Society.
Before attending law school, Daniel was a paralegal at some of the most successful general practice and intellectual property firms in the world. At one of the firms, Daniel was an intellectual property paralegal specializing in USITC matters.
- State of Illinois
- State of Kansas
- United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Patent and Trademark Office